8 Things to Do When a Loved One Dies – From a Legal Perspective

May 10, 2023 | Publication

When a loved one dies, there are often many things to consider.  Here are some things to consider from a legal perspective:

  1. Check that the deceased’s property is insured.
  2. Check that any real estate owned by the deceased is secure.
  3. Obtain the Death Certificate.  This will be needed to obtain a grant of probate or letters of administration from the Court.
  4. Locate the deceased’s important documents including Wills and Codicils.
  5. Make a list of the deceased’s assets and liabilities as far as they are known.
  6. Notify the deceased’s bank or banks regarding the death of the deceased and ensure the accounts are secure.
  7.  Notify the deceased’s credit card companies regarding the death of the deceased and ensure any credit cards do not remain operational.
  8. Instruct a solicitor to make an application for a grant of probate or letters of administration if you are the deceased’s executor. 

We regularly assist clients with deceased estates.  For an obligation free appointment, please contact our office on (02) 9633 1826 or email reception@mcauleylawyers.com.au.

The information in this publication is of a general nature and is not intended to address the circumstances of any particular individual or entity. Although we endeavour to provide accurate and timely information, we do not guarantee that the information in this publication is accurate at the date it is received or that it will continue to be accurate in the future. We are not responsible for the information of any source to which a link is provided or reference is made and exclude all liability in connection with use of these sources. If you do not wish to receive newsletters from us, please let us know.

Latest Insights

What is the difference between Joint Tenancy and Tenants in Common?

A very important difference in ownership of property where there are two or more owners is Joint Tenancy v Tenants in Common. It is essential to understand the difference when and if you buy property with another person. If you own a property as Joint Tenants and one...

New Coercive Control Laws in NSW as of 1 July 2024

From 1 July 2024, coercive control will be a crime in NSW when a person uses abusive behaviours towards a current or former intimate partner with the intention to coerce or control them. The Crimes Legislation Amendment (Coercive Control) Act 2022makes it an...

Key Rules on Discovery Procedures for Prospective Defendants

Rules 5.2 and 5.3 of the Uniform Civil Procedure Rules 2005 (UCPR) provide essential guidelines on discovery aimed at identifying or locating prospective defendants. These rules are instrumental in the pre-litigation process, ensuring that applicants can gather...

5 Ways A Director Can Be Sued

Directors can be sued for all sorts of reasons.  Here are 5 of them. Reason #1: Insolvent Trading A director can be sued if the company he or she is a director of trades whilst insolvent.  A director has a duty to prevent the company trading and incurring...

7 Ways to Enforce a Judgment

After a judgment is obtained for an amount of money, there are numerous options open to a judgment creditor in relation to how to enforce the judgment (i.e. how to obtain the money which is owed pursuant to the judgment). Option #1: Issue a Bankruptcy Notice If the...

Who Can Bring a Compensation to Relatives Claim?

In the unfortunate event of a loved one's passing due to negligence or wrongful act, the Compensation to Relatives Act 1897 in New South Wales outlines the parameters for pursuing compensation on behalf of the deceased. Understanding who has the legal standing to...