Consumer Protection Laws

May 8, 2023 | Publication

Consumers are protected under the Australian Consumer Law.

Consumers who acquire services for personal, domestic or household use, which have a value less than $40,000 are protected. This limit of $40,000 does not apply to motor vehicles.

The general protections are against:

  1. unconscionable conduct;
  2. misleading and deceptive conduct; and
  3. unfair terms in contracts.

There are also other consumer guarantees with respect to the quality of the good or services and that warranties be honoured.

Should there be a failure by a business to satisfy the guarantees providing you with a good or service of acceptable quality, you should immediately bring it to the businesses attention. The business has an obligation to repair the goods within a reasonable time.

If they do not do so you have the right to:

  1. get the repairs done elsewhere;
  2. ask for a replacement;
  3. ask for a refund; or
  4. recover compensation for the drop in value below the price paid.

If the business fails to do any of the above you can lodge a formal complaint with the New South Wales Office of Fair Trading. Once this occurs the Office will contact the business directly on your behalf and attempt to negotiate a solution or settlement to the dispute.

If the dispute is not resolved you may need to commence proceedings in either a court or a tribunal. The choice is whether to take the proceedings to the New South Wales Civil and Administrative Tribunal or to the Local or District court of New South Wales. This will depend on the amount of your claim.
In order to make this decision it is useful to understand the differences between these forums. You should contact a lawyer to discuss this as the two different forums have varied limitation dates and jurisdictional limits.

The information in this publication is of a general nature and is not intended to address the circumstances of any particular individual or entity. Although we endeavour to provide accurate and timely information, we do not guarantee that the information in this publication is accurate at the date it is received or that it will continue to be accurate in the future. We are not responsible for the information of any source to which a link is provided or reference is made and exclude all liability in connection with use of these sources. If you do not wish to receive newsletters from us, please let us know.

Latest Insights

New Coercive Control Laws in NSW as of 1 July 2024

From 1 July 2024, coercive control will be a crime in NSW when a person uses abusive behaviours towards a current or former intimate partner with the intention to coerce or control them. The Crimes Legislation Amendment (Coercive Control) Act 2022makes it an...

Key Rules on Discovery Procedures for Prospective Defendants

Rules 5.2 and 5.3 of the Uniform Civil Procedure Rules 2005 (UCPR) provide essential guidelines on discovery aimed at identifying or locating prospective defendants. These rules are instrumental in the pre-litigation process, ensuring that applicants can gather...

5 Ways A Director Can Be Sued

Directors can be sued for all sorts of reasons.  Here are 5 of them. Reason #1: Insolvent Trading A director can be sued if the company he or she is a director of trades whilst insolvent.  A director has a duty to prevent the company trading and incurring...

7 Ways to Enforce a Judgment

After a judgment is obtained for an amount of money, there are numerous options open to a judgment creditor in relation to how to enforce the judgment (i.e. how to obtain the money which is owed pursuant to the judgment). Option #1: Issue a Bankruptcy Notice If the...

Who Can Bring a Compensation to Relatives Claim?

In the unfortunate event of a loved one's passing due to negligence or wrongful act, the Compensation to Relatives Act 1897 in New South Wales outlines the parameters for pursuing compensation on behalf of the deceased. Understanding who has the legal standing to...

10 Myths of Being Sued

If you or your business are sued, there are many myths about how the legal process will pan out.  Here are 10 myths about the legal process – all are incorrect. Myth #1: The matter will definitely go to a hearing Most matters settle before a Judge decides...