Dental Negligence

Mar 22, 2023 | Publication

Have you suffered injury or loss as a result the negligent care of your dentist?  If so, you may have a dental negligence claim.  The principles of medical negligence are applicable to dental negligence.

The requirements necessary to establish negligence are:

  1. Your dentist owed you a duty of care;
  2. Your dentist breached that duty of care (by doing or not doing something);
  3. You have suffered physical or financial harm; and
  4. Your dentist’s breach of duty of care caused that harm.

All dentists have a duty of care to take reasonable care in the treatment they provide.  The duty of care is owed to anyone who could foreseeably be harmed by their actions (or failures to act).

Some of the common complaints against dentists are:

  • Failure to diagnose and treat complications arising from extractions- infection, sinus perforation, mandibular fracture, TMJ injury.
  • Performing unnecessary treatment.
  • Failure to warn of material risks associated with treatment eg nerve damage.
  • Failure to make necessary specialist referral when appropriate
  • Cosmetic dental surgery negligence.
  • Failure to diagnose oral cancer in a timely manner.
  • Nerve damage
  • Periodontal disease
  • Failure to obtain informed consent

Informed consent is the process by which a patient agrees to undergo the proposed course of treatment with full knowledge of the possible consequences.  Some dentists fail to properly communicate the proposed procedures with their patients. You should always be explained the risks associated with any dental procedure.

In a recent case, a dentist decided to cap every one of the patient’s teeth, not because of clinical need but for his own financial gain. The Court decided that where the treatment is not necessary, there cannot be any informed consent and that whenever there is a dispute in respect of informed consent, the burden of proof falls upon the medical practitioner.

If you believe that your dentist has been negligent when treating you, contact McAuley Lawyers on (02) 9633 1826 to speak to an experienced compensation lawyer today.

The information in this publication is of a general nature and is not intended to address the circumstances of any particular individual or entity. Although we endeavour to provide accurate and timely information, we do not guarantee that the information in this publication is accurate at the date it is received or that it will continue to be accurate in the future. We are not responsible for the information of any source to which a link is provided or reference is made and exclude all liability in connection with use of these sources. If you do not wish to receive newsletters from us, please let us know.

Latest Insights

How Vicissitudes Impact Future Economic Loss in Legal Cases

When it comes to calculating future economic loss in legal cases, one concept that often arises is "vicissitudes." But what exactly are vicissitudes, and how do they affect the compensation awarded to plaintiffs? In this article, we'll delve into the definition of...

Can you still make a claim?

Many claims have limitation periods. A limitation period is a set time frame within which an aggrieved person must commence proceedings in a Court. These limitation periods generally commence from the date of the injury and/or incident. Some claims however, such as...

Teacher convicted for failing to report sexual abuse of a child

Teacher, Mr Webb of Trinity College Perth, was unsuccessful in his appeal against his conviction of failing to report sexual abuse of a child in a decision delivered on 13 October 2021. In April 2017, a group of boys from the school went on a school rugby trip to...

Annual Dinner – Parramatta & District Regional Law Society

Western Sydney's legal profession gathered for the Annual Dinner of the Parramatta & District Regional Law Society at CommBank Stadium! We are particularly grateful to Dr Hugh McDermott MP, Parliamentary Secretary to the Attorney General, Senior Vice...

What compensation can I get if I have been injured at work?

If you have a work-related injury or illness, you may be able to claim compensation for lost income, medical expenses, travel expenses, domestic assistance, pain and suffering and permanent impairment. All employers are required to have workers compensation insurance...

Court makes provision for son left out of father’s Will

The recent Supreme Court of New South Wales decision of Rathswohl v Court  NSWSC 356, involved 3 siblings disputing their entitlements to their late father’s estate. The defendant, Yvette, claimed she cared for her father for the last 18 months before he...

If I die without a Will what can happen?

If you die without a Will there can be many unintended consequences. Some of these consequences may be: A person who you do not intend could control your estate.  This could even be someone you do not know.  An executor is a person who controls an estate...