What are the powers of the NSW Independent Commission Against Corruption?

Jul 12, 2023 | Publication

The Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC) has received considerable media attention lately particularly following the publication of the Operation Keppel investigation report which included reference to former premier, Gladys Berejiklian.

ICAC has wide ranging powers including as set out in the Independent Commission Against Corruption Act 1988.

The powers include:

  1. To conduct an investigation on its own initiative, on a complaint made to it, on a report made to it or on a reference made to it (section 20).
  2. To require a public authority or public official to produce a statement of information (section 21).
  3. By notice in writing to require a person to attend at a time and place specified in the notice before a person being a Commissioner, an Assistant Commissioner or any other officer of the Commission and to produce at that time and place to the person so specified a document or other thing specified in the notice (section 22).
  4. Enter and inspect any premises occupied or used by a public authority or public official in that capacity and inspect any document or other thing in or on the premises and take copies of any document in or on the premises (section 23).
  5. To conduct a compulsory examination if the Commission is satisfied that it is in the public interest to do so (section 30).
  6. To conduct a public inquiry if the Commission is satisfied that it is in the public interest to do so (section 31).
  7. To summon a person to appear before the Commission at a compulsory examination or public inquiry (section 35).
  8. To issue a warrant for the arrest of a witness (section 36).
  9. To issue a search warrant (section 40).
  10. To recommend to the Attorney General that a person be granted under section 32 of the Criminal Procedure Act 1986) an indemnity from prosecution (section 49).
  11. Before or after investigating a matter (whether or not the investigation is completed, and whether or not the Commission has made any findings) refer the matter for investigation or other action to any person or body considered by the Commission to be appropriate in the circumstances (section 53).
  12. To prepare reports in relation to any matter that has been or is the subject of an investigation (section 74).

It is important to obtain prompt legal advice in relation to rights and responsibilities concerning ICAC.  Our solicitors have extensive experience with ICAC matters.  To contact one of our solicitors please telephone (02) 9633 1826 or email reception@mcauleylawyers.com.au

The information in this publication is of a general nature and is not intended to address the circumstances of any particular individual or entity. Although we endeavour to provide accurate and timely information, we do not guarantee that the information in this publication is accurate at the date it is received or that it will continue to be accurate in the future. We are not responsible for the information of any source to which a link is provided or reference is made and exclude all liability in connection with use of these sources. If you do not wish to receive newsletters from us, please let us know.

Latest Insights

How Vicissitudes Impact Future Economic Loss in Legal Cases

When it comes to calculating future economic loss in legal cases, one concept that often arises is "vicissitudes." But what exactly are vicissitudes, and how do they affect the compensation awarded to plaintiffs? In this article, we'll delve into the definition of...

Can you still make a claim?

Many claims have limitation periods. A limitation period is a set time frame within which an aggrieved person must commence proceedings in a Court. These limitation periods generally commence from the date of the injury and/or incident. Some claims however, such as...

Teacher convicted for failing to report sexual abuse of a child

Teacher, Mr Webb of Trinity College Perth, was unsuccessful in his appeal against his conviction of failing to report sexual abuse of a child in a decision delivered on 13 October 2021. In April 2017, a group of boys from the school went on a school rugby trip to...

Annual Dinner – Parramatta & District Regional Law Society

Western Sydney's legal profession gathered for the Annual Dinner of the Parramatta & District Regional Law Society at CommBank Stadium! We are particularly grateful to Dr Hugh McDermott MP, Parliamentary Secretary to the Attorney General, Senior Vice...

What compensation can I get if I have been injured at work?

If you have a work-related injury or illness, you may be able to claim compensation for lost income, medical expenses, travel expenses, domestic assistance, pain and suffering and permanent impairment. All employers are required to have workers compensation insurance...

Court makes provision for son left out of father’s Will

The recent Supreme Court of New South Wales decision of Rathswohl v Court  NSWSC 356, involved 3 siblings disputing their entitlements to their late father’s estate. The defendant, Yvette, claimed she cared for her father for the last 18 months before he...

If I die without a Will what can happen?

If you die without a Will there can be many unintended consequences. Some of these consequences may be: A person who you do not intend could control your estate.  This could even be someone you do not know.  An executor is a person who controls an estate...