Changing or Revoking a Will

Mar 12, 2023 | Publication

It is important to know how to change or revoke your will and to know what the effect marriage, divorce and other life circumstances will have on your will.

Once a will has been signed, it cannot be altered by crossing out clauses or writing in new ones. Such alterations will have no effect. The only way to update the will is by a codicil or a new will.

A codicil is a written document added to a will, which must meet all the formal requirements of a will.

Section 11 of the Succession Act sets out an exhaustive list of the means by which a will or part of a will may be revoked. These include:

a) A will made by order of the court;
b) marriage in certain circumstances; and
c) divorce in certain circumstances.

If you are making a will in anticipation of marriage, you should consult a lawyer. If you marry after making a will that was not made in anticipation of the marriage, you should make a new will, even if it is the same.

A divorce will not revoke the while will. It will revoke:

a) any gift to your former spouse; and
b) the appointment of your former spouse as an executor, trustee or guardian unless you express a contrary intention in your will.

A divorced person should not rely on the partial revocation provisions, but make a new will.

The information in this publication is of a general nature and is not intended to address the circumstances of any particular individual or entity. Although we endeavour to provide accurate and timely information, we do not guarantee that the information in this publication is accurate at the date it is received or that it will continue to be accurate in the future. We are not responsible for the information of any source to which a link is provided or reference is made and exclude all liability in connection with use of these sources. If you do not wish to receive newsletters from us, please let us know.

Latest Insights

How Vicissitudes Impact Future Economic Loss in Legal Cases

When it comes to calculating future economic loss in legal cases, one concept that often arises is "vicissitudes." But what exactly are vicissitudes, and how do they affect the compensation awarded to plaintiffs? In this article, we'll delve into the definition of...

Can you still make a claim?

Many claims have limitation periods. A limitation period is a set time frame within which an aggrieved person must commence proceedings in a Court. These limitation periods generally commence from the date of the injury and/or incident. Some claims however, such as...

Teacher convicted for failing to report sexual abuse of a child

Teacher, Mr Webb of Trinity College Perth, was unsuccessful in his appeal against his conviction of failing to report sexual abuse of a child in a decision delivered on 13 October 2021. In April 2017, a group of boys from the school went on a school rugby trip to...

Annual Dinner – Parramatta & District Regional Law Society

Western Sydney's legal profession gathered for the Annual Dinner of the Parramatta & District Regional Law Society at CommBank Stadium! We are particularly grateful to Dr Hugh McDermott MP, Parliamentary Secretary to the Attorney General, Senior Vice...

What compensation can I get if I have been injured at work?

If you have a work-related injury or illness, you may be able to claim compensation for lost income, medical expenses, travel expenses, domestic assistance, pain and suffering and permanent impairment. All employers are required to have workers compensation insurance...

Court makes provision for son left out of father’s Will

The recent Supreme Court of New South Wales decision of Rathswohl v Court  NSWSC 356, involved 3 siblings disputing their entitlements to their late father’s estate. The defendant, Yvette, claimed she cared for her father for the last 18 months before he...

If I die without a Will what can happen?

If you die without a Will there can be many unintended consequences. Some of these consequences may be: A person who you do not intend could control your estate.  This could even be someone you do not know.  An executor is a person who controls an estate...