What sorts of matters does the Supreme Court of NSW deal with?

Jun 27, 2022 | Publication | 0 comments

The Supreme Court of NSW is the superior Court in NSW and deals with an array of matters including civil matters and serious criminal matters.

In relation to civil matters, the Supreme Court of NSW deals with:

1                     Appeals relating to administrative decisions

2                     Prerogative writs

3                     Caveats

4                     Money claims

5                     Personal injury

6                     Adoptions

7                     Claims under Contracts Review Act 1980

8                     Commercial contract disputes

9                     Commercially misleading conduct

10                 Guarantees

11                 Insurance

12                 Sale of business

13                 Appeals from the Local Court of NSW

14                 Compensation to relatives claims

15                 Contempt of court

16                 Contract disputes

17                 False imprisonment

18                 Malicious prosecution

19                 Nuisance

20                 Professional negligence

21                 Defamation

22                 Succession Act claims

23                 Appeals from liquidator’s/administrator’s decisions

24                 Appointments of provisional liquidators

25                 Directors’ duties claims

26                 Insolvent trading

27                 Judicial advice

28                 Leave to commence derivative action

29                 Oppressive conduct

30                 Uncommercial or voidable transactions

31                 Winding up orders

32                 Examinations pursuant to the Corporations Act 2001

33                 Leave to proceed against a company in liquidation

34                 Reinstating a company

35                 Setting aside a creditor’s statutory demand

36                 Winding up in insolvency

37                 Appointment of a receiver

38                 Breach of contract

39                 Caveat claims

40                 Conveyancing Act claims

41                 Deceased estates

42                 Freezing orders

43                 Equity claims

44                 Partnership claims

45                 Preliminary discovery

46                 Search orders

47                 Specific performance

48                 Trust claims

49                 Possession of land

50                 Probate

51                 Letters of Administration

52                 Building disputes

53                 Insurance disputes

54                 Technology disputes

In relation to criminal matters, the Supreme Court of NSW deals with serious criminal matters including murder, terrorism and treason.

To obtain legal advice and representation, please contact Stephen McAuley on sm@mcauleylawyers.com.au or Bernard McAuley onbm@mcauleylawyers.com.au or telephone 9633 1826 for an obligation free consultation.

Latest Insights

How Vicissitudes Impact Future Economic Loss in Legal Cases

When it comes to calculating future economic loss in legal cases, one concept that often arises is "vicissitudes." But what exactly are vicissitudes, and how do they affect the compensation awarded to plaintiffs? In this article, we'll delve into the definition of...

Can you still make a claim?

Many claims have limitation periods. A limitation period is a set time frame within which an aggrieved person must commence proceedings in a Court. These limitation periods generally commence from the date of the injury and/or incident. Some claims however, such as...

Teacher convicted for failing to report sexual abuse of a child

Teacher, Mr Webb of Trinity College Perth, was unsuccessful in his appeal against his conviction of failing to report sexual abuse of a child in a decision delivered on 13 October 2021. In April 2017, a group of boys from the school went on a school rugby trip to...

Annual Dinner – Parramatta & District Regional Law Society

Western Sydney's legal profession gathered for the Annual Dinner of the Parramatta & District Regional Law Society at CommBank Stadium! We are particularly grateful to Dr Hugh McDermott MP, Parliamentary Secretary to the Attorney General, Senior Vice...

What compensation can I get if I have been injured at work?

If you have a work-related injury or illness, you may be able to claim compensation for lost income, medical expenses, travel expenses, domestic assistance, pain and suffering and permanent impairment. All employers are required to have workers compensation insurance...

Court makes provision for son left out of father’s Will

The recent Supreme Court of New South Wales decision of Rathswohl v Court  NSWSC 356, involved 3 siblings disputing their entitlements to their late father’s estate. The defendant, Yvette, claimed she cared for her father for the last 18 months before he...

If I die without a Will what can happen?

If you die without a Will there can be many unintended consequences. Some of these consequences may be: A person who you do not intend could control your estate.  This could even be someone you do not know.  An executor is a person who controls an estate...