Challenging a Will: What are your rights?

Nov 18, 2022 | Publication | 0 comments

When someone close to you dies, the last thing on your mind is usually what you stand to gain from the person’s will.

But if you have been left out of the will or the deceased hasn’t left you much, it is important to act quickly to protect your rights.

You only have 12 months to challenge a will to seek provision or additional provision from a deceased estate.

The 12 months begins from the date of death.

The first hurdle you need to overcome is to satisfy the Court that you are an eligible person.

An eligible person is:

  • the wife or husband of the deceased
  • the deceased’s defacto
  • a child of the deceased
  • a former wife or husband of the deceased
  • a grandchild of the deceased who was wholly or partly dependent on the deceased
  • a member of the deceased’s household who was wholly or partly dependent on the deceased
  • a person with whom the deceased was living in a close personal relationship at the time of the deceased’s death

If you get over the first hurdle, the next obstacle you need to overcome is to convince the Court that the provision (if any) made for you in the will is inadequate for your proper maintenance, education and advancement in life.

In determining this, the Court will consider, amongst other things, your financial position, the size and nature of the deceased’s estate, your relationship with the deceased, and the relationship between the deceased and other people who have legitimate claims on the estate.

The final stumbling block which must be overcome before a Court will make provision (or extra provision) for you is to persuade the Court that an order should, in fact, be made in your favour.

To illustrate this last point, if the estate, for example, was so small that the creditors could not even be paid, even though you might be a very needy person, the Court may not make provision for you.

Obviously it is very important to obtain expert legal advice before embarking upon any challenge to a will.

If a challenge is to be made, your lawyer should be able to tell you what your prospects of successfully challenging the will are before you commence any Court action.

The information in this publication is of a general nature and is not intended to address the circumstances of any particular individual or entity. Although we endeavour to provide accurate and timely information, we do not guarantee that the information in this publication is accurate at the date it is received or that it will continue to be accurate in the future. We are not responsible for the information of any source to which a link is provided or reference is made and exclude all liability in connection with use of these sources. If you do not wish to receive newsletters from us, please let us know.

Latest Insights

How Vicissitudes Impact Future Economic Loss in Legal Cases

When it comes to calculating future economic loss in legal cases, one concept that often arises is "vicissitudes." But what exactly are vicissitudes, and how do they affect the compensation awarded to plaintiffs? In this article, we'll delve into the definition of...

Can you still make a claim?

Many claims have limitation periods. A limitation period is a set time frame within which an aggrieved person must commence proceedings in a Court. These limitation periods generally commence from the date of the injury and/or incident. Some claims however, such as...

Teacher convicted for failing to report sexual abuse of a child

Teacher, Mr Webb of Trinity College Perth, was unsuccessful in his appeal against his conviction of failing to report sexual abuse of a child in a decision delivered on 13 October 2021. In April 2017, a group of boys from the school went on a school rugby trip to...

Annual Dinner – Parramatta & District Regional Law Society

Western Sydney's legal profession gathered for the Annual Dinner of the Parramatta & District Regional Law Society at CommBank Stadium! We are particularly grateful to Dr Hugh McDermott MP, Parliamentary Secretary to the Attorney General, Senior Vice...

What compensation can I get if I have been injured at work?

If you have a work-related injury or illness, you may be able to claim compensation for lost income, medical expenses, travel expenses, domestic assistance, pain and suffering and permanent impairment. All employers are required to have workers compensation insurance...

Court makes provision for son left out of father’s Will

The recent Supreme Court of New South Wales decision of Rathswohl v Court  NSWSC 356, involved 3 siblings disputing their entitlements to their late father’s estate. The defendant, Yvette, claimed she cared for her father for the last 18 months before he...

If I die without a Will what can happen?

If you die without a Will there can be many unintended consequences. Some of these consequences may be: A person who you do not intend could control your estate.  This could even be someone you do not know.  An executor is a person who controls an estate...