How do you access your medical records?

Nov 15, 2022 | Publication | 0 comments

Did you know that you do not own your own medical records?  Whilst you do not own them, you have a legal right to access your records under the Health Records and Information Privacy Act 2002 (NSW)

Your request must:

  1. be in writing;
  2. include your name and address;
  3. identify the health information being requested;
  4. specify how you would like to access the health information (for example, if you want a copy of it or just to look at the information at their office); and
  5. if you want someone else to access the health information on your behalf you will need to put the name of the person/organisation you are authorising to access your health information.

The organisation must write to you with its decision within 45 calendar days from receiving your request. The health service provider is entitled to charge a fee for providing access to health information.

However your medical provider may decline your request on the following grounds:

  1. providing access would pose a serious threat to the life/health of an individual;
  2. providing access would have an unreasonable impact on the privacy of other individuals;
  3. the health information relates to existing/ anticipated legal proceedings and you would not be able to access this information through court processes;
  4. providing access would be unlawful; or denying access is required/authorised by another law; and
  5. the request is a repeated request and has been reasonably declined previously, or the information has already been provided.

Latest Insights

How Vicissitudes Impact Future Economic Loss in Legal Cases

When it comes to calculating future economic loss in legal cases, one concept that often arises is "vicissitudes." But what exactly are vicissitudes, and how do they affect the compensation awarded to plaintiffs? In this article, we'll delve into the definition of...

Can you still make a claim?

Many claims have limitation periods. A limitation period is a set time frame within which an aggrieved person must commence proceedings in a Court. These limitation periods generally commence from the date of the injury and/or incident. Some claims however, such as...

Teacher convicted for failing to report sexual abuse of a child

Teacher, Mr Webb of Trinity College Perth, was unsuccessful in his appeal against his conviction of failing to report sexual abuse of a child in a decision delivered on 13 October 2021. In April 2017, a group of boys from the school went on a school rugby trip to...

Annual Dinner – Parramatta & District Regional Law Society

Western Sydney's legal profession gathered for the Annual Dinner of the Parramatta & District Regional Law Society at CommBank Stadium! We are particularly grateful to Dr Hugh McDermott MP, Parliamentary Secretary to the Attorney General, Senior Vice...

What compensation can I get if I have been injured at work?

If you have a work-related injury or illness, you may be able to claim compensation for lost income, medical expenses, travel expenses, domestic assistance, pain and suffering and permanent impairment. All employers are required to have workers compensation insurance...

Court makes provision for son left out of father’s Will

The recent Supreme Court of New South Wales decision of Rathswohl v Court  NSWSC 356, involved 3 siblings disputing their entitlements to their late father’s estate. The defendant, Yvette, claimed she cared for her father for the last 18 months before he...

If I die without a Will what can happen?

If you die without a Will there can be many unintended consequences. Some of these consequences may be: A person who you do not intend could control your estate.  This could even be someone you do not know.  An executor is a person who controls an estate...