Slip and Fall Incidents

Apr 5, 2023 | Publication

Unfortunately, it is a common occurrence for slip and fall incidents to occur. Usually some sort of food or liquid is spilt on the floor and has not been cleaned up by the centre in a reasonable time. People are busy shopping, looking for items to purchase and do not notice that something is on the floor. At other times, the food or liquid is difficult to see as it may be clear and unnoticeable.

A person may unknowingly walk in the substance, slip, loose their balance and fall. At times they fall directly onto the floor and at other times they fall into something. Either situation can cause serious injuries.

Always seek help and report any incident of this nature to the centre. Do your best to take note of the names of those who assist you and those who have witnessed the incident. Also take note of the substance on the floor, where it may have come from, what it looks like and whether there are any indications to suggest how long it may have been on the floor for (trolley marks going through the substance, prior skid marks/shoe prints around the substance, dirt on/in the substance etc). If you are able to, take a photograph of the substance on the floor and a photograph indicating the location of the substance within the centre.

At times, centres may offer you minimal compensation to settle the matter, sometimes in the form of vouchers. However tempting this may be, it is always wise to first seek the assistance of an experienced lawyer to guide you. You may be entitled to a lot more.

We can help you navigate the process of establishing liability against the centre. This can be a complex process and involves verifying when the spillage occurred and whether the centre had a reasonable cleaning system in place, functionable at the time of the incident. If it is not possible to verify when the spillage occurred, the Court may decide against a centre if on the balance of probabilities your injury would not have occurred had the centre complied with its duty of care.

McAuley Lawyers has accredited specialists who act in matters of this nature on a ‘no win, no fee basis’.

The information in this publication is of a general nature and is not intended to address the circumstances of any particular individual or entity. Although we endeavour to provide accurate and timely information, we do not guarantee that the information in this publication is accurate at the date it is received or that it will continue to be accurate in the future. We are not responsible for the information of any source to which a link is provided or reference is made and exclude all liability in connection with use of these sources. If you do not wish to receive newsletters from us, please let us know.

Latest Insights

How Vicissitudes Impact Future Economic Loss in Legal Cases

When it comes to calculating future economic loss in legal cases, one concept that often arises is "vicissitudes." But what exactly are vicissitudes, and how do they affect the compensation awarded to plaintiffs? In this article, we'll delve into the definition of...

Can you still make a claim?

Many claims have limitation periods. A limitation period is a set time frame within which an aggrieved person must commence proceedings in a Court. These limitation periods generally commence from the date of the injury and/or incident. Some claims however, such as...

Teacher convicted for failing to report sexual abuse of a child

Teacher, Mr Webb of Trinity College Perth, was unsuccessful in his appeal against his conviction of failing to report sexual abuse of a child in a decision delivered on 13 October 2021. In April 2017, a group of boys from the school went on a school rugby trip to...

Annual Dinner – Parramatta & District Regional Law Society

Western Sydney's legal profession gathered for the Annual Dinner of the Parramatta & District Regional Law Society at CommBank Stadium! We are particularly grateful to Dr Hugh McDermott MP, Parliamentary Secretary to the Attorney General, Senior Vice...

What compensation can I get if I have been injured at work?

If you have a work-related injury or illness, you may be able to claim compensation for lost income, medical expenses, travel expenses, domestic assistance, pain and suffering and permanent impairment. All employers are required to have workers compensation insurance...

Court makes provision for son left out of father’s Will

The recent Supreme Court of New South Wales decision of Rathswohl v Court  NSWSC 356, involved 3 siblings disputing their entitlements to their late father’s estate. The defendant, Yvette, claimed she cared for her father for the last 18 months before he...

If I die without a Will what can happen?

If you die without a Will there can be many unintended consequences. Some of these consequences may be: A person who you do not intend could control your estate.  This could even be someone you do not know.  An executor is a person who controls an estate...